Subject: RE: UKNM: Worst website sins
From: Andrew Warner-Education
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:39:50 +0100

> Jo Chipchase wrote:
> I'm writing a feature on "The Worst Website Sins" for Internet Money (a
> new
> title aimed at small businesses).

Opinions and examples wanted, please...

My pet hate is sites that use the web as an environment for corporate
bragging, whilst giving no thought to why anyone would want to visit in the
first place...An fmcg brand manager I know was responsible for a flash
driven extravganza containing more puffery about a certain shampoo brand
than any sane person could ever want to know (complete with animated
dandruff). The site in question overlooked many basic fundamentals and gave
no opportunity for consumers to request product information or to give
feedback...unsurprisingly the site was a flop (or should that be a fop?)
The anectdote leads to a closely related pet hate, which is companies who
take the brave step of deciding to learn more about online media through
participation, but then waste the opportunity because they don't bother to
consider up front the 'what?' 'why?' or 'for whom?' of their fledgling web
activity...or merely think of it as a nice little project for the placement
student they forgot was turning up for a 6 month stint of work experience.

PS- I know how he above scenario would never happened if only agency x,y or
z had worked on the account, so there's no need to mail me your credentials
;)

Andy
andrew [dot] warneratbbc [dot] co [dot] uk
http://www.bbc.co.uk