Subject: RE: UKNM: Fast-loading sites
From: Zelda Rhiando
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 19:32:21 +0100

>err ... huh? Are you having a go at me?
>
>I'm lost!!
>
>But seriously. Within 6 months ADSL will start to become the standard.
>Then, due to more web access thanever, more and more households will
>realise that they simply need to invest.
>
>Right now it's just not worth bloating out pages, but within a year we
>will see more and more sloppy coding/ compression simply due to the fact
>that it aint something to worry about.
>
>Anyone remember when the img tag was first introduced? I do and remember
>how exciting it was to spend ages downloading a massive 10k image on a 9k
>BT modem !!

Please. ADSL can certainly provide faster access - but won't format a page
more quickly if the code is badly written - nor is it a universal panacea
for bandwidth restrictions. Certainly faster access will become more
prevalent - but it strikes me that ADSL will be sold as a 'premium' service
- rather than following the free-isp model that narrowband access has
developed into. Cable is likely to have higher takeup - but US experience
shows that congestion is still very much an issue as the number of people
using the bandwidth, and the number of bandwidth intensive applications
increase. So for the moment, it strikes me that intelligent design, good
coding and careful optimisation will still be the key to fast delivery.

I'll get me coat now ;o)

>Lee

[ zelda rhiando | convergent media producer ]
[ deepend london | +44 171 247 2999 ]
[ http://www.deepend.co.uk ]

[ 07930 451 443 ]