Subject: RE: Loosemore's law (was UKNM: Fast-loading sites)
From: Steve Johnston
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:50:48 +0100

For this to work, Loosemore's law has to be observable against existing
activity, and not require any special coding to capture it.

The archetypal web intolerance is, of course, going somewhere or doing
something else. If Miller's 1968 measures (as referenced on Useit.com)
are reliable, then there is a window of opportunity between 1 and 10
seconds in which the user's attention can be maintained before they go
looking for other - potentially distracting - things to do. It does not
require the whole page to have loaded for this to happen, simply enough
to allow a decision to be made, or for there to be something to read or
to look at that might actually keep their attention a little longer, by
restarting the clock.

For Loosemore's law to hold true, as the speed of connection increases,
there must be a measurable decrease in the window for maintaining
attention because the expectation is set at a higher level. The problem,
as I see it, is that every piece of content has different thresholds for
attention, so attempting to measure intolerance against file sizes or
progress through a page simply wont work.

I am beginning to feel that decision-making is the key. Loosemore's law
- which incidentally needs to be picked up as an MBA or final-year
research project by one of the many students on the list, before it is
ratified - will demonstrate (well, maybe) that there is a progression of
intolerance that is evidenced by a shortening of the time a user is
happy to wait for enough information to make their first decision.
Beyond this time the user may not go somewhere else, but if they do not,
their attitude towards the site (read; company, products, whatever) is
compromised.

So Loosemore is now looking less like a Metcalfe and a Moore and more
like a Boyle. In other words in conditions with constant bytes and a
constant opportunity for decision-making there is an inverse
relationship between speed (S) and tolerance (T). Under ideal conditions
then, ST has a constant value.

Measuring S (speed): Bits per second?
Measuring T (tolerance): Seconds to first decision point?

I have a slight feeling of vertigo......whoah, disappearing up my own

I think I'll stop for now...Where's Clay when you need him?

Steve Johnston
steve [dot] johnstonatentranet [dot] co [dot] uk
mob: +44 (0)7901 853273
off: +44 (0)1491 878787