Subject: UKNM: RE: lastminute.com does delight its customers!
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 11:06:04 GMT

Sam,

Surely Brent failed in this issue as he forgot one of the basics rules of PR
- don't get too defensive or speak unless you have to. The whole
lastminute.com appraisal on this list would have lasted a maximum of a
couple of days and he could have remained anonymous.
Check out the Boo manoeuvre - keep quiet whilst the storm rages and join in
after it all blows over. We now have a regular contributor from boo and his
addition to this list is one of the many reasons why there are so many
'anonymous' subscribers out there.

Perhaps Brent should have just apologised for the individual problems that
people have experienced. Perhaps he should call in the Customer Relations
and Call Centre Managers this morning and ask them why they were lying to
him about the service over the new year period. Perhaps he should do
something about the French operation (Ian?). As they say on that annoying
Mobile Phone advert - 'it's your call'.

The trouble is the lastminute.com is not a destination site that will please
everyone - it is a site that will please some and not others. It is not
comprehensive. It's a site to visit on a whim and see what happens.
Although, judging by the comments out there, there must be a niche for
people who want to get away on short breaks / holidays by themselves. The
problem of pricing in this area is obvious - in many cases hotels have very
few/no single rooms, therefore as a single person you are taking up space
that could be occupied by two - that is why the price for one is often
inflated - this is often applied by the hotel and not the travel agent /
tour operator (I know, I married an ex-Thomson employee!).

On another note, we are going to have a communications (message board /
chat) area on our site - I am just putting the finishing touches to the
policy document for all subscribers to that service.... huge, comprehensive
and legally binds the user to whatever they write. If you include a email
verification loop for access to the area then you should be safe.... but you
can never tell!

Cheers

John Braithwaite

John Braithwaite