Subject: Re: UKNM: Which kind of user?
From: Ian Fenn
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 11:55:13 GMT

Robb writes:
> This may work for lastminute.com, but as a user I really hate the "what
kind of user are you?" approach that some web sites take.

Absolutely. It wouldn't work for Chopstix:

So how good are you with a wok?

1. beginner
2. intermediate
3. expert...

Hmmm....

> This may be because they're so badly thought out. For example, when I go
to a computer manufacturer's site and I have to say whether I'm a home or
business user, and they present me with a range of PCs they think will be
right for me.

> [valid point, well made - snip!]
>
> The options suggested for lastminute.com look sensible, but (even with the
addition of "groups") where would I click to travel with three mates? Maybe
groups, maybe families (although we're not a family, that maybe the best
place for packages designed for four people). You'll often find that there
are users who don't neatly fall into your definitions.

Absolutely. Maybe what is needed is:

2. Home Office
3. Business
4. Corporate
5. You

..."You" being a page which brings up a bespoke build service?! :-)

> I generally think that in most cases, the nature of the content should
help users to guide themselves to the correct information. So instead of
"business" and "home" computers, how about (just off the top of my head)
"budget", "performance", and "servers"? "Home" and "business" users would
then visit the appropriate sections according to their actual, rather than
perceived, needs.

Don't Gateway do this? I know they used to...

> So as long as the information is there (e.g. when looking at a
lastminute.com hotel price you can see the single supplement, the child
rate, group discounts, etc.) you don't need the extra step of saying who you
are.

In the last minute example, the initial step of selecting "sole traveller"
would ideally cut out inappropriate offers... and re-present those that are
(i.e. display the total cost including single supplement rather than having
the latter on a secondary page) - this would save me a lot of valuable
lastminutes!

All the best,

--
Ian Fenn