Subject: Re: UKNM: top 10 client questions
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:18:50 GMT

Wallace, Darren <Darren [dot] Wallaceatginger [dot] com> said:

> 11. Budget.

I'd add:

0. What are your needs?

Although I would not phrase it quite like that. The approach I tend to take
is, first, to enter into a conversation with new clients / prospects aimed
at establishing a rapport with them, then to move on to try to find out what
their needs are in a wider sense. People tend to reveal more about
themselves, their needs and concerns, if they feel comfortable with the
person they are talking to.

It would be nice to think that any client would supply a detailed written
brief at the start and/or answer detailed questions. But I have always
considered it the consultant's job to write the brief, not the client's.
Many of the questions suggested by others in this thread could be answered
during this initial conversation, and those that are not, can then be
check-listed later.

Perhaps it's my journalist's training that leads me to ask open questions
during an interview, but I have found that the approach works equally well
during sales and briefing sessions.

As to credit control, and payment terms, what is there to discuss? Payment
terms are a matter of terms and conditions written in to your booking
confirmation and credit control is a matter of judgement, risk-limitation,
and control of the invoicing process. By raising these issues too soon, you
risk causing offence and there is little to be gained, since someone who
can't
or won't pay his bills is hardly likely to say so.

Ray Taylor