Subject: Re: UKNM: Streams of Conciousness
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 12:26:44 +0100

Bill Thompson wrote:

> At 17:13 08/10/98 +0100, you wrote:
> >As a new-media revolutionary, I find this a fairly entertaining piece
> of
> >old-media people totally failing to get it.
> >
> >"Linking to content is theft!"
> >

> >http://www.wired.com/news/news/business/story/15486.html
>
> As the story points out, people like broadcast.com are pissed off
> that web users are just linking to their video streams and missing
> the ads. Of course our very own BBC has got round this by
> putting a good 30 secs of advertising^H^H^H^H^trailer - got
> to be accurate here! - at the front of every news broadcast
> on news.bbc.co.uk
>
> presumably nobody there has realised what the >> button does on
> RealPlayer...

The thing that gets me is that it would be so easy to hide the content
behind a cgi that generated a one-time only URL for the content, making
such linking fail, and then you put your beloved banner on the 404 page
(with the appropriate new link); the end result of the article was that
it just demonstrated how clueless technologically those people were.

and I was hoping to have a bit of debate about new marketing strategies,
but all I got was silence.

stefx

--
/**